Eczema-prone skin in babies: how do you recognise it?
Eczema-prone skin in babies is a skin condition that usually appears between the ages of three months and two years old. It manifests itself in the form of flare-ups: red patches with blisters. The latter are accompanied by extreme dryness and intense itching of the skin, due to dryness. This symptom often leads to sleep disturbances.
If the skin is scratched or rubbed, the small spots break off and cause oozing and yellowish scabs. Flare-ups in babies are interspersed with periods of remission where the symptoms subside for a while.
What products should I choose to take care of my baby’s eczema-prone skin?
For eczema-prone skin in babies, a paediatrician or dermatologist will recommend three areas of action:
- Treating the skin inflammation with medication in the form of topical corticosteroid ointments. This topical treatment should be applied to your baby's red patches.
- Taking care of dry skin on the rest of the body through intense hydration using emollient creams for babies.
- Washing your baby with mild soap-free cleansers.
What should I use to wash my baby with eczema-prone skin?
Daily hygiene for babies with eczema-prone skin should involve gently cleansing the skin and preparing it for ointments. This increases the effectiveness of prescribed products in the event of relapses.
Also, ban soap-based and scented toiletries. You can give your baby an emollient bath using Xeracalm A.D. Lipid-Replenishing Cleansing Oil. Its lipid-replenishing action restores the hydrolipidic film of your baby's skin and soothes itching, caused by skin dryness.
- Wash your baby in water between 32°C and 34°C, once a day and for a maximum of ten minutes, to limit contact with tap water.
- At the end of the bath, soothe your baby's redness with a spritz of Avène Thermal Spring Water.
- Dry your child without rubbing, gently dabbing with a towel.
Our creams for eczema-prone skin in babies
After washing your baby, apply an emollient several times a day to prevent flare-ups. The emollient’s moisturising and nourishing action reduces skin dryness and strengthens the protective barrier of the epidermis for better water retention.
Avène Laboratore Dermatologique has designed baby emollients based on Sterile Cosmetics technology. This reduces the number of ingredients, retaining only what’s essential for baby's skin: fragrance-free and preservative-free care. It also offers perfectly sealed protective packaging (pump bottle and capsule tube).
For baby's dry sensitive skin, XeraCalm A.D. Lipid-Replenishing Cream restores the skin's barrier function and skin comfort and soothes itching, caused by skin dryness.
If your baby has particularly dry, thickened skin, or dry patches that flake or form scabs, choose XeraCalm A.D. Lipid-Replenishing Balm for intense hydration.
In addition, the Cicalfate+ Restorative Protective Cream soothes your baby's skin irritations.