Why is it important to take care of your body and your skin?
Skin is an important protective barrier for the body against external aggressors (wind, extreme temperatures, pollution, etc.). Any disturbance of its balance can affect the health of your body.
Some areas may have special needs as the structure of the skin varies according to the part of the body. The texture is different between the hands, the feet and the stomach for example.
Daily washing allows you to:
- Remove dust and dirt, which can cause skin problems, from the skin.
- Remove sweat and remove unpleasant body odour.
- Limit the risk of spreading germs and contamination, including through good hand hygiene.
- Refresh, re-energise, and relax.
Secondly, body moisturising products help:
- Maintain healthy skin, for example, by avoiding discomfort such as “fish-scale” skin, rough patches or loss of firmness;
- Delay skin ageing;
- Physical and mental well-being.
How do I take care of my skin?
For long-lasting soft and supple skin, we recommend this body routine.
Skincare in the shower
Water alone is not enough to wash your body. Impurities should be removed with a shower product such as a shower gel that is kind to sensitive skin. This prevents the risk of dryness and tightness caused by conventional soaps.
To avoid the same risks, you should also make sure that you do not rinse with water that is too hot. This deteriorates the hydrolipidic film, an oily layer that protects your skin from the environment.
Furthermore, we recommend opting for a shower over a bath to limit the amount of time your skin is in contact with tap water with a limescale content that dries the skin and chlorine content that irritates the epidermis.
Finally, dry yourself gently by dabbing your towel rather than rubbing vigorously.
Once or twice a week, use a body scrub to remove dead skin and impurities. The skin will then benefit even more from the properties of your body moisturiser.
Moisturising body care
Moisturising your body’s skin every day, and, especially after exfoliation, helps to maintain the hydrolipidic film of the epidermis made up of water and fat. Avène Laboratoire Dermatologique has formulated moisturising body creams for you and also a range especially adapted to hands, an area of the body that is over-exposed.
These moisturisers will help you keep your skin glowing, protect it, prevent dryness and slow down skin ageing.
Protecting yourself from the sun is essential for keeping your skin young and healthy. Discover our sun protection products adapted to different skin tones and sensitivities. More frequent application to particularly exposed areas of the body such as the chest, hands and arms can prevent and limit the appearance of age spots.
You should also take care to stay in the shade during peak exposure times, usually between 10am and 4pm.
In winter, be sure to cover up with warm clothing to protect your body from the redness, tightness, and itching associated with temperature variations.
It therefore makes sense to turn to richer body care products, to moisturise and protect the skin against the elements.
What product for which skin type?
The texture of body care products varies according to your skin type and its specificities.
- Dry skin and very dry, tight and skin that flakes to varying degrees, requires intense hydration coupled with a dose of nourishment. The cleanser and nourishing lotion and balms in the TriXera Nutrition range will provide these skin types with all the lipids they need.
- Cicalfate+ products repair the surface layers of the irritated skin.
- Do you have eczema-prone skin on your body and are you experiencing itching (caused by skin dryness)? The Xeracalm A.D range provides you with relief and nourishment with the Cleansing Oil and the Lipid-Replenishing Cream and Balm..
The temperature can also influence your choice of body product. Choose rich-textured body care products, such as balms, when it's cold; and light textures in summer, such as lotions or creams that are more quickly absorbed by the skin.